System Error

Having technical issues with Dark Reign or Patch 1.7? Ask for help here.

System Error

Postby CAPTLAV on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am

Hi guys. I played Dark Reign back in the 90's until the disc was destroyed, so I appreciate what you guys are doing here.
I downloaded patch 1.7 onto my Windows 7 64 bit system and I keep getting a System Error message saying Dark Reign can't start due to my computer missing the mss32.dll file. I've downloaded the patch twice now and always the same result. I'd love to play this game again and would much appreciate some help. Thanks.
CAPTLAV
Dark Reign Player

Re: System Error

Postby XenPhaseTank on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Hey! Just download the mss32.dll from http://www.dllme.com
Note that Dark Reign doesn't work on the new Nvidia graphics cards. I bought a new gaming pc with gtx 970 and upgraded to windows 10 (directx12). Dark Reign doesn't start at my computer at all! I get an unknown error.
XenPhaseTank
Dark Reign Player

Postby CAPTLAV on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:55 am

Thank you very much for the information and the help. I don't run NVIDIA on this machine so hopefully it's smooth sailing.
CAPTLAV
Dark Reign Player

Postby CAPTLAV on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:27 pm

It looks like my Security Essentials was seeing a Trojan in the patch and was deleting the file when I unzipped the patch. I took a chance and blocked S.E. from touching my Dark Reign folder and I finally got the game to load after I extracted from the zip file again. Then I noticed the color problem and took your advice again and killed Explorer. Voila, game menu works and when I get some hankering for Dark Reign I'll start a game. Thanks again.
CAPTLAV
Dark Reign Player

Postby numaru7 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:38 pm

XenPhaseTank wrote:Hey! Just download the mss32.dll from http://www.dllme.com
Note that Dark Reign doesn't work on the new Nvidia graphics cards. I bought a new gaming pc with gtx 970 and upgraded to windows 10 (directx12). Dark Reign doesn't start at my computer at all! I get an unknown error.

I get the error message: "DirectDraw Video initialize failed on SetDisplayMode : DDERR_UNSUPPORTED : The operation is not supported." Could this be related to what you said about newer Graphic cards from Nvidia?. I have the GTX 1070. I tried NVemulate a little bit but i've not seen an improvement. Does this happen with AMX/ATI cards too?
numaru7
Dark Reign Player

Postby numaru7 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm

followed the instructions here and got it to work: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2012/06/30/dark-reign/

I'm now per teamviewer and smth weird is happening with the mouse in the main menu - can't sync myself to click anything, i will research that at home.
numaru7
Dark Reign Player

Postby sofiabovino on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:33 pm

start at my computer at all! I get an unknown error. Steroids Australia
sofiabovino
Dark Reign Player

Return to Troubleshooting / FAQ