DARK REIGN 1.7.1 Changelog/Wishlist

Report Bugs and list suggestions for Dark Reign Redux here.

Moderator: Dark Reign Redux

Re: DARK REIGN 1.7.1 Changelog/Wishlist

Postby MeatWaffle on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:15 pm

How about some balance changes? There are a TON of units and buildings in this game that are almost never used because of how ineffective/expensive/impractical they are to use. You guys know what I'm talking about: Hostage Taker, Amper, Medics/Mechanics, Snipers, Contaminators, Saboteurs... these are all cool units that could greatly benefit from some balancing. This way the game would have more variety instead of just FG players spamming nothing but skirmies and martyrs, Imp donuts, Xenite Avengers, etc.

Edit: Damn, I forgot the game even lets you use DECOY units and structures. I've NEVER seen anyone use these in a multiplayer game. Maybe improve decoys to give players some incentive to actually use them?
MeatWaffle
Dark Reign Player

Postby Banana Phone on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Some Balencing like wut MeatWaffle said earlier would be nice
MeatWaffle wrote:How about some balance changes? There are a TON of units and buildings in this game that are almost never used because of how ineffective/expensive/impractical they are to use. You guys know what I'm talking about: Hostage Taker, Amper, Medics/Mechanics, Snipers, Contaminators, Saboteurs... these are all cool units that could greatly benefit from some balancing. This way the game would have more variety instead of just FG players spamming nothing but skirmies and martyrs, Imp donuts, Xenite Avengers, etc.

and two more things:
->TURRETS NEED TO BE WEAKER!!!(i hate it when compys/people just turtle with like 20 rail turrets/20 air defence sites its very annoying since one turret costs so little and so such effective damge.
->for the sidebar, for building units/buildings, i think hotkeys would be nice for those. Cmon, this is RTS, there should be more hotkeys to this
Banana Phone
Dark Reign Player

Postby Fooooo on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:35 am

Mechanics are fine,
most ppl dont use them (dont think anyone does early game) but late game they are very useful for speeding up ur repairs at repair bays, or as mobile repairs. ( You pull your tanks back into a group of mechanics in midfield after an engagement) ive seen ppl in old times, Munka usually , use mechanics on the run, as in moving with ur rails so you dont have to fallback to repair... risky but can work.

- Contams are used , and to great comedy all the time, no need to change those puppys. They sorta like a novelty weapon.

- The spamming of skirmys and martys is easy defeated.

Donuts / Avengers and turret whoring is only really a prob if you let them get there. Which is really all down to the map.. .

- If you play a choke map like Crusher or Chemy, then Avengers / Donuts are almost inevitable unless you all gem rush the crap outa the other team. ( Another factor here is because most ppl also dont like arty , if arty was used, then turreting and going donuts or something doesnt work as well as it does now.)

- If you play an open map like 6Sixway or 7Forts, you will usually get the rush of skirmys or inf, which is easily countered with your own rush or good defensive play.
After the rush on these maps it tends to be all movement play, and attacking double points at a time etc, instead of trying to head into a funnel of turrets :)

Decoy buildings were used ALOT back in the day, i used them ALL the time... nobody does now because nobody likes rifts , go figure.

- You decoy all over, the enemy wasted his rifts on decoy buildings, simple strat that worked EVERY time.....in the old days when there were no real "rules" of no rifts / arty...

Some of the other units mentioned however could use some changes...

- I've played around with the sniper and by increasing the speed of its projectile it actually hits infantry on the move, which was one of the main downsides to the unit.

- The hostage taker is always going to be useless unless we make its attack ranged somehow, so it "grabs" an enemy group of units and then turns them into zombies. (hard to do)

- The amper can be boosted easily, one way ive tryed is by removing the "unit eventually dies" part which means they are more like medics that shoot a needle into units to heal them.

Sabateurs are a hard one, on one hand they do their job as described quite well, however it would be better if they could maybe "disable" buildings for a time period... tho thats not really possible without 1.4source.

Turrets are balanced quite well imo, its the fact that ppl can build 1000's of them with no real penalty (if you let them mind you) except power usage... it would be nice to have say the first 2 or 3 heavy turrets use normal power, also the first 3 air def turrets use normal, after that each new one takes more power etc etc....

So some are fixable, mainly the sniper/medic and amper and also the hostage taker to a degree.

The others require stuff we dont have access to / dont need to be changed, Its good you mentioned them however :)
Fooooo
Development Team

Postby Hoarmurath on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 am

If possible, have flyer units be able to fly on different altitude levels. It really bugs me when all of my flyers fly in a straight line, even then using formation the ones in the back cannot fire until the ones in the front are done shooting. I think it would be awesome if flyer units could fly on different altitude levels so you can "stack" your air units and deliver massive damage almost instantly.
Hoarmurath
Dark Reign Player

Postby Xyifer12 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 am

Please fix the glitch where i build a large wall and one of my units thinks its a large wall. A TICK would not do anything, and when i told my units to attack it they attacked a wall, and when the wall was destroyed the TICK worked like a TICK. :?
Xyifer12
Dark Reign Player

Postby Xyifer12 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 am

If possible can you make a day/night setting? It would be cool to go on a few night missions. :)
Xyifer12
Dark Reign Player

Postby Dudroid on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:01 am

Would it be at all possible to add a "Set Exit Point", to re-arming docks?

[edit]
Just discovered that it is possible anyway by using hot keys... I guess I better learn them :p
[/edit]
Dudroid
Dark Reign Player

Postby XenPhaseTank on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 am

I finally fixed the aust bug. And adjusted the building looks on the 4 maps. I also fixed the alien map for original dk. If you want it's in the Dark Reign Projects section. ;)
XenPhaseTank
Dark Reign Player

Postby XenPhaseTank on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:58 pm

It would be great if it's possible to make the KI reset their non moving Freighters. Also that they could take their Freighters from the Taelon Generator after it's full. Bonus credits however is stupid. :?
XenPhaseTank
Dark Reign Player

Postby munka on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Fooooo wrote:Mechanics are fine,
most ppl dont use them (dont think anyone does early game) but late game they are very useful for speeding up ur repairs at repair bays, or as mobile repairs. ( You pull your tanks back into a group of mechanics in midfield after an engagement) ive seen ppl in old times, Munka usually , use mechanics on the run, as in moving with ur rails so you dont have to fallback to repair... risky but can work.

Did I? I don't remember that? Used to try some weird things, liked to give a bit of surprise :)
munka
Dark Reign Player

PreviousNext

Return to Dark Reign Redux Bug Reports & Suggestions